Pulmonary embolisim after surgery

Patient

Q: In February of 2008 my husband had surgery on his knee 8 days later he had a pulmanary empalisim and almost died. Nov. 18th of this year he had back surgery and had his parts of his fifth disc removed that were on his siatic nerve because of his weight it was not out patient he came home two days later. He know is experiencing calf pain in the opposite side of the leg and back area that was in pain. We have called the surgeon and he hasn't returned our call yet can you tell me anything at all?

Doctor

A:   You need to take your husband to see a physician as soon as possible! He probably has developed a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) which is the precursor to developing a Pulmonary Embolus. When the DVT is confirmed he will require long term treatment with anticoagulants such as Coumadin. I urge you to see a doctor quickly in order to prevent another pulmonary embolus!