Puncture wound in the right thumb

Q: My boyfriend stabbed me with a needle yesterday right on my thumb, its all swollen but there is no bruise, it hurts alot when i bend it. is it broken?

A:    A puncture wound is caused by an object piercing the skin and creating a small hole. Some punctures are just on the surface. Others can be very deep, depending on the source and cause. A puncture wound does not usually result in excessive bleeding. Usually, these wounds close fairly quickly on their own. Treatment may be necessary to prevent infection. A puncture wound can become infected because the object that caused the wound may carry  bacteria or spores of  tetanus into the skin and tissue. If you are not sure when your last tetanus shot was, check with your doctor's office. You will need a tetanus shot if it has been more than 10 years since your last shot or if your last tetanus shot was more than 5 years ago and the wound has been contaminated with dirt. X-rays may be taken as needed to assess any damage to the underlying bone.