Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Puncture wound with a needle four days ago

Puncture wound with a needle four days ago

Patient: Dr i had a sharp injury i my finger, it happen 4 days ago but i dont feel the finger and when i touch where i stick the needle gave me electricity like the needle touch the nerve. Do i have to go for therapy or that go away time to time?

Doctor: A puncture wound is caused by an object piercing the skin and creating a small hole, a needle in your case. Some punctur ures are just on the surface. Others can be very deep, depending on the source and cause; in your case it seems that you injured the finger nerve. A puncture wound does not usually result in excessive bleeding. Usually, these wounds close fairly quickly on their own and also the nerve irritation will take a while but will disappear with the time. Treatment may be necessary to prevent infection. A puncture wound can become infected because the object that caused the wound may carry bacteria or spores of tetanus into the skin and tissue. If you are not sure when your last tetanus shot was, check with your doctor’s office. You will need a tetanus shot if it has been more than 10 years since your last shot or if your last tetanus shot was more than 5 years ago.