x
172 Physicians Online

Question:

Pyloric Valve Disease

I am 74 years old and had my hiatal hernia removed 9 years ago.I developed a pyloric valve problem 2 years ago.Are the two in any way related?What causes the pyloric valve problem now in my life.What medications are available?

Answer:

I will assume that the pyloric valve problem you refer to is delayed emptying of the stomach. This condition has nothing to do with your hiatal hernia or its repair.  The most common cause of pyloric valve problems is diabetes. Diabetes can damage the nerves that go to the stomach thus affecting how the stomach empties into the small intestines.
Another condition which has pyloric valve problems as a symptom is autonomic neuropathy. As in diabetes, the nerves to stomach don’t function as they should significantly delaying emptying of the stomach.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA