Query for hirsutism treatment.


Q: I am asking this question for my sister. What type of doctors or specialist treat hirsutism? Is it Endocrinologist?

Symptoms:  Excess unwanted hair growth, mood swings depression, manly behavior, Blank at times, slow response

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you.
Hirsutism is better treated by an endocrinologist or general physician.
If associated with other changes like acne, menstrual irregularities, then a team work is required including an endocrinologist, dermatologist and gynaecologist.
Actually the most important is evaluation of the cause.
You may need hormonal evaluation including serum LH, FSH, DHEAS, 17 (OH)progesterone, serum testosterone. If menstrual irregularity is present, Ultrasound lower abdomen will be done to rule out Polycystic Ovarian Disease.

Visit your doctor so that he can examine you and order tests for you.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.

Related Q&A

Q: I am diagnosed with pvc. I did a echo, blood test and holter and all normal. I did stress test at the start of year a...

Q: I had to give this Ref ID : 423190. This is another follow up. So I know that my dad has an even bigger mole on hi...

Q: Hi, I just had a lymph node or so they think cut from my lower leg. It has been there for about five years. I have ha...

Q: Can I take coricidin HBO chest congestion & cough with flonase

Q: Stubbed my toe last night and my foot and ankle have been tingling and sore since. The toe is swollen and a little nu...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon