Question about a knee injury

Q: I injured my right knee back in January by tripping over a curb and hitting it while it was bent on the sidewalk. It got knocked out of alignment and bruised. At the time my husband and I were living with my mother in law, and because of a few rules she had set, the only time I was able to relax it and rest it was at night after scripture study, dinner, and dishes. After I got it put back in alignment the first time, it didn't hurt until last month. Is it possible for more damage to be done because of walking on it while it was out of alignment or hasn't healed correctly from January?

Symptoms:  Pain, sometimes to where it's painful to walk

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible to worsen the injury to your knee if it has not adequately healed. Adequate rest is required to allow the structures within the knee to heal adequately. The pain you may be experiencing now is probably due to the inflammation associated with the knee injury. In order to assess the severity of this inflammation you will need to have your knee examined by your doctor and have an MRI conducted of the knee joint to assess the lasting effects of this injury. In the meantime, try to avoid strenuous high impact activity on your knee. You can also apply ice on your knee and take oral analgesics in order treat your pain.

Thank you for consulting