Question about birth control

Patient: Hello, I am on birth control and got my period 2 weeks earlier than normal. I continued with my pills as if I had hadn’t gotten it and now I am on the week with the sugar pills when I will not be getting my period. Should I start a new pack or take the sugar pills?

Symptoms: Early period

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comIf you have been regular on birth control then chances are that you h ave had what is called breakthrough bleeding may be because of probable delay in the normal timing of taking the pills . As you continued the pill sand the bleeding stopped, then it is likely that with the sugar pills you shall have your menses now.However it would be a safe practice to follow barrier contraception for this whole week till menses initiate.i hope i have answered your query in detail.wishing you good health.regards