Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Question about herpes I have type 1 oral herpes

Question about herpes I have type 1 oral herpes

Patient: Question about herpes . I have type 1 oral herpes on my inner thigh. ( I received oral sex from someone who has type 1 oral on their mouth)How can this be transmitted? If someone performs oral sex on me can they get oral herpes? etc what about sex? Can I spread my type one oral to someone and they catch genital herpes?

Symptoms: Herpes type 1 on inner thigh

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Generally, type 1 herpes tends to be above the waist and type 2 tends to be below the wa ist. Type 1 is oral herpes and spreads by kissing. Type 2 spreads with intercourse. Theoretically, it is possible to get both types of Herpes at any location. Please confirm by seeing a Doctor. But I would recommend you avoid any intercourse and if you must, use a condom. All the best.Hope this helps you.