Question about pregnancy

Patient

Q: I just got married and was supposed to start a few days before my wedding and didn't. The wedding was two weeks ago. I tested negative for being pregnant and figured I was late due to stress of the wedding. We didn't have unprotected sex until a week ago and I was wondering when the time would be to take a test for the most accurate result. It is hard for me to determine because I do not know where my period is...I am 2 weeks late and counting...Thank you

Doctor

A:   I realize that you feel concerned about your late menses and possible pregnancy. Surely a possibility of pregnancy might need to be ruled out first, also let me reassure you that most irregular periods are benign. Missed periods, too frequent periods, spotting, or bouts of heavy clotting and bleeding are usually caused by an underlying hormonal imbalance that is easily treated.Since you are 2 weeks late from your due date, I will suggest you to take another pregnancy test using the first urine of the day; you might also want to confirm it with a blood pregnancy test. If the results are negative and your next menses is absent too, a consultation with your Gynecologist to rule out the cause of your Hormonal Imbalance would be recommended. Significant weight gain or loss, Over-exercise, Poor nutrition, Smoking, Drug use, Caffeine, Excessive alcohol use (interfering with how the liver metabolizes estrogen and progesterone), Eating disorders and increased stress are some of the causes that may have interfered with your cycle. I wish you the best.