Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Question about pregnancy

Question about pregnancy

Patient: I am about 5 weeks pregnant. and I am bleeding some. It is less than a period but it’s still like the same kind of thing like a period. I’m not in any pain or anything it’s just blood. Is this normal? What can I do?

Symptoms: Blood

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.The possible causes of spotting in early pregnancy are increa sed blood supply to local genital structures, growing gestational sac damaging the surrounding vessels, bleeding during routine expected date of periods due to gap between gestational sac and uterine cavity etc.Usually minimal spotting with these type of causes will subside soon.If spotting persists and pain abdomen occurs better to consult your doctor once and get examined to rule out miscarriage.By examination and ultrasound the possible cause of the problem can be identified and managed.Take care.