Question about rabies?

Patient

Q: Hello i got a question i have a chihuahua dog and she is not vaccinated and a day and 1/2 ago my little nice get scratch by her and i am scared because outside of the house there`s rats and maybe the can get inside and bite my chihuahua i am scared, and yesterday i get my chihuahua to a pet hospital and she get her rabies shot and 2 others, but i am still scared? thank you so much.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for question. It is a low risk that your dog could have transmitted rabies to your niece by scratching. Rabies is caused by a virus that is most commonly transmitted by bite from an infected animal. If your niece develops a fever, and becomes irritable we recommend you take her to be examined by a doctor as she could have contracted other less serious bacterial infections from such a scratch.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com

Patient: And after the scratch in how many days we can see if there`s any symptom . thank you.