Question about Spinal Stenosis injections or surgery

Patient

Q: Dear Doctor,
I am a 62 year old African American woman. About a year ago, I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis. Since then, I have gone thru PT and a couple of medications programs including prednisone (which I couldn't tolerate past the second day). PT was ok for a while but the treatment that has been most helpful in managing my discomfort is Acupuncture and a combination of volteran and Aleve. My 'ace in the hole' is the injection then surgery if nothing else works. I am learning that no treatment is full proof and there will always be good and bad days. I cannot exercise regularly but try to walk 30 minutes a day as often as I can before the aggravation starts again and have had to give up bowling. I am sure that treatment depends on the individual. I guess my question is concerning the injections and the surgery. Would either of those methods reduce my symptoms beyond what I am feeling now? Is it my condition now something I will have to live with (acupuncture and pills)? I am willing to eventually try the injection but surgery is another thing. Is it a myth that back surgery isn't effective or successful?

Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for taking the time for respond.

Blessings,
Shelley Battle

Doctor