Question about staples after surgery

Patient

Q: Are staples ever left in your stomach after surgery? I have had a c-section 7 years ago and abdominoplasty 1 year ago. I have had a recent x-ray that showed staples in my stomach cutting off blood flow.

Doctor

A:   To answer your question I had to ask the surgeons on our team.  If it was a routine C-section and performed in North America, it would be unlikely that staples were used internally.  I can not comment on the abdominoplasty as it is a cosmetic surgery. It would be best to ask the surgeon that performed the surgery.  I am also unclear how it was determined that blood flow was being cut off as that would not appear on an x ray.