Question about thalassemia The husband's blood test results

Patient

Q: Question about thalassemia
The husband's blood test results show presence of heterozygous form of alpha thalassemia -3.7, while the wife's blood test results show presence of beta thalassemia as well presence of mutation IVS-I-110 (G-A)/N. She is pregnant with their first child. What are the chances of having a healthy child? Could there be some problems? Should she conduct some tests?
Thank you.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

I have not ever heard of a case of a child having both Alpha and Beta thalassemia. But, the baby will be a carrier at max for both diseases but will not have the disease. This is because the disease does not manifest in people with the recessive genes but rather in a person with more of the genes.

Still, please see a Doctor to confirm by opinion. All the best.