Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Question regarding oral sex?

Question regarding oral sex?

Patient: I’m a virgin, but recently I’ve engaged in oral sex for the first time with my boy friend. I was not fond of it so I stopped long before he’s ejaculated, so nothing went in my mouth aside from some pre-cum. I am very anxious though, and was wondering if that was enough to catch anything? STD, STI, HIV etc? He’s only been with one other female, who was a virgin at that time, and so was he. I was wondering if this is enough to get myself checked, or should I be worried?

Symptoms: Paranoia

Doctor: Oral sex is the stimulation of the genitals using the mouth and tongue. It is one of the ways that sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are most frequently passed on. You can catch an STI if you have just one sexual partner. However, the more partners you have, the greater the risk of catching an infection. STIs that are commonly caught through oral sex include gonorrhoea, genital herpes , syphilis, chlamydia, HIVhepatitis A, hepatitis B and hepatitis C, genital warts and pubic lice.Most sexually transmitted infections are easily treated but treatment should be started as soon as possible. Some infections, such as HIV, never leave the body and cannot be cured. There are drugs available that can reduce the symptoms and help prevent or delay the development of late stage HIV infection. If left untreated, many sexually transmitted infections can be painful or uncomfortable, can permanently damage your health and fertility, and can be passed on to a partner. You can prevent catching STIs during oral sex by making sure that you or your partner wear a condom. You can use a dental dam to cover the anus or female genitals during oral sex. A dental dam is a latex or polyurethane (very thin, soft plastic) square, of about 15cm by 15cm. It acts as a barrier to help prevent STIs passing from one person to another. You can get confidential help and advice, and all tests and treatments, at a genitourinary medicine (GUM) or sexual health clinic. Your general practice, contraception clinics, young people’s services and some pharmacies may also provide testing for some infections. If they can’t provide what you need, they should be able to give you details of the nearest service that can.