Questioning a diagnosis of PSC

Q: I hope this isn't too much of a specialized question...
My wife (26) was recently diagnosed with PSC (she got the diagnosis from the Mayo Clinic in AZ). Since this is such a serious diagnosis, we want to make sure that it is true. There is one thing that we feel may have been left out (though we aren't positive) when they made the diagnosis...
When my wife originally went to the hospital because she started getting pain and was pretty jaundice, the GI doctor ended up putting a tube through her side and into her bile duct (forgot what this is called) after a failed attempt at doing an ERCP. Originally, he said there was a mass that was blocking his way (took measurements and everything), and was in turn blocking her bile ducts. They also said that the tube may very well flush the mass out.
With that information, they sent us to the Mayo clinic for more specialized treatment. At our first visit to the Mayo clinic, they removed the tube and stated that had found no mass, and put stints in her bile duct. There was another ERCP done later on, which is when they diagnosed her with PSC. The thing that is bothering us, is that they said there was no mass there and that PSC was the reason her bile ducts were closing. It seems like they just threw out what our other doctor had found to begin with, which we thought could possibly be an alternate explanation for what was going on. Are we kidding ourselves or should we pursue this as an option as well? Although there's no real treatment for PSC, we want to be able to proceed the best way we can as early as we can, so the last thing we want is to waste time with chasing an idea that isn't really viable...