Questioning a Movement Disorder Diagnosis

Patient

Q: This isn't really Parkinson's but I thought it was the most fitting category for the question. Can essential tremor also cause rigidity and the dance like movements of chorea? Or, can sydenham's chorea cause tremors and rigidity as opposed to just the "dance-like" movements?

Symptoms:  Muscle tremor, rigidity, jerks
Doctor

A:   Hi,

Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor.

Sydenham's Chorea is a symptom of Rheumatoid Fever. Rheumatioc Fever occurs secondary to Streptococcal infection. Another manifesation is Chorea. This is the dance like movement that you are describing.

Both of these are likely to occur in Rheumatoid Fever. You should consult a Infectious Disease Specialist for further treatment.