Questions about conception date, pregnancy....

Q: Hi, I don't want this to be an issue but I'm having doubts concerning the conception of mine and my partners child.

We recently found out she was pregnant after she missed her last period and took a home pregnancy kit, a trans-vaginal ultra sound (Jan 28th) confirmed that she was in fact pregnant. This ultra sound confirmed the presence of an amniotic sac yet was too early to detect a fetus. The technician said there was something else present but was too small to identify and dated her pregnancy at 5-6 weeks based on her last period.

My concern is, my partner and I only had sex for the first time December 30th. She had her period over Dec 25-28th (she says it was a full period, lining and all). We were friends for some time before dating, and I saw her through her last breakup, my concern is can this be her x's child? The last time they had sex was on the 13th of December, she was on the pill, but they were unprotected and he finished inside of her. (With me, she wasn't on the pill and our condom broke).

The technician seemed very uncertain about said due date and conception date. She was all over the board saying 6 weeks at some point then saying 5 weeks 6 days. She even went to say it could be a little more then 6 weeks and ended by saying it couldn't be much more then 4 weeks due to the period but I'm confused about her conclusion because from what I've read, No Sac should have been found if the pregnancy was that early.

I'm going to be there for my partner regardless. We essentially had developed feelings for one another back when she was with her x and I'm not going to penalize her by abandoning her for something that may have happened even before we were together. I just want to know and find peace with whatever the answer is.

We already talked about it some, but the ambiguity of her conception date still leaves me antsy. I guess part of me just wants to know whether this is my child. I want a family with her regardless, I just want these doubts to subside. What is the likelihood of this child being mine, or her x's? Is there any way of knowing?

Your help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.