Questions about recent doctor's visit

Patient

Q: What are some reasons/causes why I have been experiencing upper back pain and by rib cage on right side?

Symptoms:  Intermittent back pain. Concentrated on upper right side, primarily in shoulder blade area and moves down the side by rib cage, pain is confined to back and side not chest or frontal. The pain is not constant but has been occurring for about 6 weeks and seems to be increasing in frequency and duration. Also pain feels like an aching and occasional burning. I am started to get concerned since this pain feel more internal and is not from exercise, exertion or injury. I had a recent chest x-ray to examine my lungs and it was deemed to be normal. I used to smoke heavily for 12 years, but have not smoked for about 12 years. Age 39. I do not have trouble breathing, excessive coughing, pain when breathing or weight loss. I do have shortness of breath, but I am out of shape and 25 lbs overweight so I would think this might be a factor. Not sure if Lung x-ray was comprehensive enough? Should I seek something else? This does not feel like a simple back ache that was caused by over doing it one day, seems to be more pervasive.
Doctor