Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Questions About Tonsilitis

Questions About Tonsilitis

Patient: I have tonsilitis. Only my right tonsil is swollen, and I also have ear pain on the left which I assume it is an infection. How can I tell if I have bacterial infection or a virus?

Symptoms: Little coughs, painful ear only when I sleep on it, other times I can’t hear well

Doctor: HiThank you for the question.Whether viral or bacterial, tonsillitis is transmitted most commonly from one person to another by social contact such as droplets in the air from sneezing. Most of the time, tonsillitis is caused by a viral infection. Tonsillitis caused by strep throat is uncommon in both children and adults. Bacterial tonsillitis can be caused by Streptococcus pyogenes, the organism that causes strep throat. If left untreated, strep throat may lead to a more serious condition called rheumatic fever, which can affect the heart several years later. Seek medical care before the infection develops.Talk to your Doctor about it.I hope this will help you. Take care.

View all posts