Quick start method and periods

Patient

Q: Hi there! I have just started a monophasic 21 day birth control pill (cyclen 21) and my doctor advised the quick start method. I started about 8 days before my period was due. I know I can expect breakthrough bleeding/spotting, but should I expect my period to come at the regular time or not until the end of the pack? WHat happens to the uterine lining that has already built up? Thanks!

Doctor

A:   Hi,

As you started the pills in the middle of the month, you may not get protection for this menstrual cycle and need to use an additional method of contraception like condoms for two weeks.
If you continue to 21 pills you may not get withdrawal bleeding till the completion of the pack but minimal breakthrough bleeding can be seen in between.
The endometrial lining will be maintained till the completion of pills and after stopping the pills in 3 to 7days it will start shedding.

Take care.