Rabies in Africa - no HRIG

Q: This is a rabies question. I am in Africa. I got bit by a stray dog yesterday. 2 hours later I received my first of 4 doses of the rabies vaccine. But the immune globulin (HRIG) was not available and, from some research, this seems very common in Africa. And the research I have done states the HRIG should be given within 7 days. I will be in Africa for another 18 days. Will I be okay without the HRIG? Of course I will continue with the next 3 doses of the vaccine.
Thanks, Jerry

Symptoms:  None other than the dog bite itself

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

As long as you are receiving the Post Exposure prophylaxis, then you are probably fine. It would be good to talk to a Doctor to confirm this.

Rabies is dangerous and if you get the disease as in if the Rabies virus reaches your brain, your chances of surviving are low. Confirm the type of vaccine you are getting and if it will help you or not.

Hope this helps you. All the best.