Rabies vaccine after cat bite.

Patient

Q: Hi! My friend was bitten by a stray wild cat on his finger while on tour. The wound was not at all severe although there was a little blood as if the finger was pricked. After coming back, on 5th day he visited the doctor and was prescribed only three shots of rabies vaccine (0, 3rd and 14th day) even though my friend never took a shot earlier. I'm confused whether the doctor made the correct diagnosis, since 5 shots are advised post exposure to rabies virus. I think the doctor was assuming that it's too late already. Please help ASAP.

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

There are several types of post-exposure prophylaxis possible for rabies. One of the treatments involves 5 injections and one involves only 3 injections. Both can be effective against Rabies and will prevent it.

If you develop any fever or rash or sensitivity to light, please see a Doctor.

Hope this helps you. All the best.