Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Rabies vaccine – possibility of anaphylactic reaction

Rabies vaccine – possibility of anaphylactic reaction

Patient: Hello Dear Doctor I need to receive rabies pre-exposure booster AND not post-exposure in the USA. I have heard of some possibility of allergic reactions with boosters up to 6 percent. However, what is my biggest concern is possibility of anaphylaxis after rabies booster, and I am so afraid now. I have to mention that I have not been allergic to any rabies vaccination ever so far, or any other vaccination and to nothing at all during my whole life.What are my chances, I learned that 1 in 10,000 of immediate anaphilaxis actually referes to primary vaccination, I believe? As stated in: I trust this will receive your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible. Respectfully yours, Andrew.

Doctor: I do understand your concern for a possible anaphylactic reaction after rabies vaccination. Rabies vaccine is obtained b y viruses grown in chick embryo cell culture. Thus theoretically there is a small risk of anaphylaxis in individuals who are allergic to egg, though this risk is small as the vaccine contains only a minute quantity of egg proteins. It is unlikely that you will have a reaction as you’ve never had a reaction to any vaccine prior to this. However if you are allergic to egg, I would advise you to talk to your doctor regarding administrating the vaccination under strict medical monitoring where facilities for emergency treatment of anaphylaxis is available.