September 24, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Random outbursts of knee pain for two months

Random outbursts of knee pain for two months

Patient: I have had knee pain for the past couple months and it’s not constant but I’ll have random outbursts of pain every day usually at night when I’m trying to sleep and a few during the day. I also work at a job where it requires standing for multiple hours but they have cushioned mats to stand on. Sometimes I’ll get knee pain from standing. I can’t sit cross legged for any longer than a couple minutes without discomfort and pain. I am 17 almost 18 so my mom suggested growing pains but I haven’t grown in almost 2 years. I’m 5’3″. I worked out almost every day for a month and a half or so. I would run on the treadmill for 15-30 minutes every time I worked out and I did stretches before and after working out. I stopped working out and then I started having pains in my knees every since which was about 2 months ago. I also play volleyball (not intense, more like peppering) in the gym during lunch. I don’t stretch before but I’ve been finding that I’ll pivot wrong or land wrong and I’ll get an immediate stinging pain in my knee(s). Not sure if continuous injury is causing this issue or if running on the treadmill every day did damage to my knees or if it’s growing pains or if I have symptoms of patellofemoral syndrome or if I tore something. But I’d like to find out so if you can help me out, great! Thanks

Symptoms: Random outbursts of Knee pain, throbbing knee pain

Doctor: Hello,Thank you posting your query on ATD.It is important that we determine what is causing your knee pain before ev en starting any type of treatment.For this, you will have to see a doctor to examine your knees.Doctor may suggest MRI of the joint to assess whether there are any torn ligaments, inflammation, or the development of arthritis.Warm up and stretching is necessary before playing outdoor games.Avoid using high heel shoes.The more exercise the knee joint, the more you will be able to prevent stiffness and decrease range of motion.You may use knee brace while walking.In a person your age, tendinitis is very common, and it could be the reason you are experiencing pain. For this your doctor may advise you to take oral analgesic medication such as Advil, naproxen etc