Rapid shaking motions?

Patient

Q: I am a 12 year old girl. I have had a stress disorder caused my my parents divorce and a verbally abusive father. I also have ADD. Anyway to get the point across what I am trying to say is that why do I always feel the need to apologize for reasons I shouldn't. Example: When I say something I didn't mean to I imediately apologize. Also I shake my hands in a rapid motion from side to side when excited. I don't know that I am doing it unless its pointed out. Just looking for answers, thankyou.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. We are very sorry that you have gone through such difficulties in your young life. We will try our best to provide you with some answers. It is possible that your being overly apologetic has to due with an issue of low self esteem. We realize that you have been through a lot i, especially with the divorce of your parents and abuse from your father. This can indeed be very difficult to deal with emotionally and can lead to low self esteem and feeling as though you are to blame for your parents divorce. We would like to express to you that this is very common, and you are not alone in this. The shaking of your hands could also be an unconscious reaction to the anxiety you are feeling which can be due to your ADHD. It is important that you speak to someone about this. Whether it be your mother, school guidance councillor, therapist, or psychiatrist, expressing your feeling to someone will assist you in gaining perspective on what you feel the need to be apologize all the time. With continued support of those who love and care for you, you can successfully over come these issues and have a very productive and successful life. Please write us if you need any further clarification. We wish you all the best.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com