Rash in genital area, no blisters or cracks in skin, occasionally itchy

Patient

Q: I have a red rash in my underwear area. I'm gay, and the last time I did anything with a guy was about 5 months ago. In the past month (probably less), the rash has appeared, and appears to have spread a little; it started out on my left, but has since moved to the right. I've experienced no blisters or cracks in the skin or anything of the sort; simply a rash that is occasionally itchy (if I itch it, occasionally the skin at the top will come off, similar to dandruff). I don't think it's herpes, and I hope that if it were an STD it would've shown up a lot earlier, i.e. shortly following the sex. From what I've read, it sounds like it may be Jock itch, but of course, I'm not sure. Could you let me know what I likely have, whether I should see a doctor in person, and what I can do to help fix this? Thanks!

Doctor