Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Reccurent Cystitus

Reccurent Cystitus

Patient: I’m a 19 year old girl, i am in a sexual active relationship and i seem to have recurrent bladder and kidney infections. I have only experience a kidney infection once, which i was very poorly with but i seem to have cystitis at least once a month and im wondering if the problem is more serious that doctors think. I usually get prescribed anti biotics which do not work, so i have to return to the doctors to get something stronger. Is there anything i can do to prevent this happening? I am very clean and always wash after intercourse, i drink alot of cranberry juice but nothing works. This is costing me a fortune in medication and id like it sorted once and for all!!

Doctor: Women are at greater risk of developing a urinary tract infection than are men. A urinary tract infection limited to you r bladder can be painful and annoying. However, serious consequences can occur if a urinary tract infection spreads to your kidneys.Antibiotics are the typical treatment for a urinary tract infection. But you can take steps to reduce your chance of getting a urinary tract infection in the first place.Wipe from front to back to help prevent bacteria in the anal region from spreading to the vagina and urethra.You said you always wash after intercourse, vaginal douches are not recommended, especially if you use soap in your genitalia, this could alter the environment and favor the colonization of bacteria.