Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Recluse and low self esteem due to facial assymetry

Recluse and low self esteem due to facial assymetry

Patient: Type your question here…Would the british nhs pay to have my crooked nose and sticky out ear fixed? I also have crooked teeth and acne with scarring. My self esteem is rock bottom and when I see myself in photos and on my webcam I feel like Igor or that dude out the goonies movie. I have schizophrenia and have been a recluse for over 15 years because of my looks.

Symptoms: Psychological distress. Fear of being seen by others.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.As you are already having schizophrenia, we need to have a face to face consultation to make sure that the facial probelms that you are talking about is genuine or its a part of dysmorphophobia. If its is the later then management with anti-psychotics like olanzapine or risperidon can help the condition. Otherwise if its a genuine facial malformation, then it would require a plastic surgery and probably NHS may not help you in this regard.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!