Recommended Daily Alcohol Intake in Men

Patient

Q: I drink 6 beer per night along with taking medication to help me sleep better which I do. Without either one of these I am awake all night. Is this harmful for me? On the bottle it says consult your physician if you drink more than 3 alcoholic beverages a day. I drink a 6 pack a day, everyday.

Doctor

A:   The recommended alcohol intake for men is 3 units per day which equates to approximately two 341ml bottles of standard 5% beer.  Therefore a 6 pack a day, every day, is 3 times the recommended daily amount. In the long term this will have adverse effects on your health. Alcohol is broken down in the liver and chronic excessive use of alcohol can lead to cirrhosis of the liver, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas gland), electrolyte disturbances, nutritional deficiencies, damage to the nervous system, impaired memory, concentration, and dementia, elevated blood lipid levels, cardiomyopathy (swelling of the heart), cancer and psychiatric problems including depression and increased suicide risk. I advise attending your family doctor for guidance on how to limit your alcohol intake, preventing withdrawal symptoms from occurring, and avoiding long term complications from arising, due to chronic excess intake.