Recovering from infectious mononucleosis - how long will it take?

Q: How long does it take to fully recover from mono? I was diagnosed three months ago with mono. While recovering I also had a respiratory infection and a sinus infection. I still tire easily and it seems if I do too much physical activity the next day I feel sick.

A:   Infectious mononucleosis is characterized by a triad of fever, tonsillar pharyngitis, and lymphadenopathy. The infection is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus and is spread through saliva. The vast majority of individuals with primary EBV infection recover uneventfully and develop long term immunity to the virus. Most acute symptoms resolve in one to two weeks, although fatigue and poor functional status can persist for months. The reason why some patients do not return to prior health is unclear and unfortunately not much can be done. I would advise that you take a health diet and refrain from strenuous physical activity until fully recovered.