Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Recovering from ruptured cyst

Recovering from ruptured cyst

Patient: I have a ruptured ovarian cyst (burst 18 days ago), and I am wondering how long it will take for me to recover, what the best course of recovery is, and what activities I should avoid while recovering.

Doctor: I realize how worried you are about your ruptured ovarian cyst prognosis. I can’t give you an exact recovery time, that t would  depend on the size of your cyst, volume of fluid that leaked from it and if it causes irritation inside your abdomen.When cysts have more than 5 cm of diameter, usually it is recommended to follow up the patient for 1 or 2 months after to make sure that there is no blood leaking into the cavities that might need surgery to avoid further complications. I would suggest you to talk directly to your gynecologist and get an ultrasound; this imaging study can give you the best answer regarding your prognosis.If you are in pain, you could try over the counter analgesics and rest, avoid gassy foods and keep hydrated. i iwhs you a prompt recovery.