Recovery Time After Patella Dislocation and Surgery

Q: I was hit on my knee in a high school football game in October of 2010. It hyperextended and dislocated my patella. I had to get arthroscopic knee surgery in late October. They took out the cartilage that broke off when it dislocated. My doctor said it would take six months for the pain to go away and for the cartilage to grow back. It still hurts five months later after the surgery. I need to know how long will it take for the pain to stop and for my strength to return?

A:   You sustained quite a significant injury to your knee. Your docotr has given you the average recovery time for such injuries. However, this recovery can vary significantly between individuals. While I understand your distress and eagerness to get back to playing football, I urge you to exercise some patience. It is virtually impossible to give you a specific timeframe in which you will be back to normal.