Recovery time and potential from Stroke

Patient

Q: My father (age 83) had a severe stroke seven weeks ago. He lost the use of his left side and has had limited recovery. We have been told not to expect much more recovery as the damage to his brain was significant. Is it too early to determine his recovery potential?

Doctor

A:   The first three hours after having a stroke is a very crucial period for receiving treatment, and more so determines the extent of recovery for the patient. The maximum amount of recovery occurs within the first few weeks of having the stroke, and further recovery usually depends on factors like the willingness of the patient, support of family members and the extent of brain damage incurred during stroke. The treating doctor is possibly the best person to judge the degree of improvement in any particular case.

The first three hours after having a stroke is a very crucial period for receiving treatment, and more so determines the extent of recovery for the patient. The maximum amount of recovery occurs within the first few weeks of having the stroke, and further recovery usually depends on factors like the willingness of the patient, support of family members and the extent of brain damage incurred during stroke. The treating doctor is possibly the best person to judge the degree of improvement in any particular case.