Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Recovery Time from Shoulder Decompression Surgery

Recovery Time from Shoulder Decompression Surgery

Patient: I had shoulder decompression surgery on 7-21-10. I have since done physical therapy, but I am still in a lot of pain. The amount of pain seems about the same. Is this normal, will I need to have surgery again?

Doctor: Recovery from shoulder decompression surgery varies between individuals. It usually takes about 3-6 months to fully reco ver.Since your symptoms have not abated after 3 months, it suggest that the procedure may have been unsuccessful.There is a small percentage, usually about 10%, that do not respond favorably to the surgical procedure.  Only your surgeon can decide if you will need further surgery. A complete re-evaluation is required to determine the best course of action. This includes a through history and examination as well as x-rays.