Rectal bleeding and diarrhea

Patient: My husband woke up in the middle of the night with diarrhea. By the morning it was just blood coming out. He went to the doctor who did some tests but thought that the bleeding should stop. It has been 18hrs. now and he is still running to the bathroom every 20 minutes, but all that comes out is blood. The blood is bright red. Should we be concerned or just wait for the test results? I am very scared of what it might be. This came on suddenly.

Doctor: You should go back to your doctor because your husband might need a colonoscopy or at least medications to stop the blee ding. There are numerous causes of blood in stools: inflammation, infection, internal haemorrhoids , colonic polyp or benign growth, diverticulosis, to name a few. A colonoscopy alone can diagnose most of these common causes. I do hope this helps.