x
Browse
198 Physicians Online

Question:

Rectal bleeding for almost three weeks, Help

I have always experienced blood in stool ever 5-6 months for about a week for the past 5 years. It usually does correlate with lack of water, but not always. Anyways recently I have had blood in stool on and off for the past 3 weeks. It is extremely annoying and worrying for me even though it is bright red blood. I have no idea what it causing this, I am drinking around 80oz or more of water a day (weigh 185lbs) and eat a lot of fiber. It seems to correlate with whenever I eat a certain type of rice (it is thoroughly cooked), I dont know if some types of rice can worsen this situation. Anyway, why does it never go away? Why do i have it and many others dont? What can I do to treat this one I am experiencing now, it just doesnt seem to want to go away? I am only 17, if that is any help. It is just so weird for someone my age to experience this. Blood is on the stool and on the toilet paper when i wipe. I assume it is hemorrhoids based on my research, but can never be sure

Answer:

Bright red blood on the stool is likely due to hemorrhoids, which are usually caused by constipation or straining due to hard stools. You may try some stool softener to avoid straining, as well as include lots of green vegetables and fruits in your diet. 8 to 10 glasses of water intake and routine exercise may help solve the problem. You might as well see your family doctor to rule out any other cause of bleeding such as fissure, infection etc. Make sure to keep the area clean. Following examination your doctor may suggest other options for the treatment of hemorrhoids suitable in your case.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA