Rectal prolapse

Patient

Q: I came home from work yesterday and i had to go to te bathroom pretty bad. while going number 2 i had to push very hard at one point to work it outas i was in ao of pain. after i finished i felt much better altho there was some discomfort around my anus. today was pretty normal and when i went numbr 2 again i felt alot of disomfort after i wiped and tought somethings not rght and i looked and there was something i couldnt quite see to well so i asked my girlfriend to look and she said it looks like your anus is invertd. what do i do know should i go to the hospital or will it fix itself. it does hurt to sit a little bit. pain is about 3 out of 10

Doctor

A:   What you have described sounds like rectal prolapse. This occurs when a segment of the intestines protrudes from the anus. There is a possibility it will resolve on its own however it will almost certainly happen again without proper treatment. Non-surgical treatment is usually tried first. This involves a high fiber diet, stool softeners and enemas. If these do not work then surgery is indicated. You should see your doctor for a full evaluation.