Recurrent miscarriage – TORCH infections

Patient: Good evening sir, my name is lakshmi, my age is 28,two years back Iam married.I have two abortions with the gap of one year 3 months.

Doctor: I do understand your concern, pregnancy loss is a heart- wrenching experience for you and your family. Most spontaneous miscarriages are caused by a congenital abnormality. Recurrent miscarriage may result from 2 types of chromosomal abnormalities: i) a recurrence of abnormility of the embryo which is not usually inherited and iii) a structural abnormality that is passed on from the parent.You have mentioned that you were tested positive for TORCH infection ( TOxoplasmosis, Rubella, Cytomegalovirus and Herpes). This may be a cause for your miscarriage. However you will have to consult your doctor to rule out other causes of miscarriage such as : chromosomal abnormalities, hormonal imbalance, polycystic ovary syndrome, SLE, antiphospholipid antibodies, chronic illness and problems with the uterus. Blood tests like serum progesterone, thyroid levels, VDRL, lupus anticoagulant, karyotype, hysterosalpingogram or hysteroscopy may be required to determine the cause of miscarriage. I hope I could answer your question, I wish you well.