Recurrent miscarriages

Patient: I had 3 miscarriages in 2012. All were due to chromosome abnormalities. One of the miscarriage was a Downs baby. I am now 38 years old and hope to try again for another baby soon. Do I have a higher chance of having another Downs baby or a baby with IDD? What do you suggest?

Symptoms: Recurrent miscarriages

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comYes at 38 years of age , when you have already had 3 miscarriages due to chromosomal abnormalities and one with downs then the incidence of next conception being downs or possessing genetic chromosomal abnormality is increased further many a times. the chances of Down’s again increases by 30 percent.It is advisable that you may visit your physician and request a genetic counselling session which would bring forth different options available for you like use of donor egg or donor sperm depending on your karyotyping for considering artificicial reproductive techniques and even contemplate option for adoption.I hope i have answered your query in detail,regards