Recurrent muscle strains of hamstring

Patient

Q: I am 40 and seem to be continually suffering from hamstring pulls and tears despite stretching exercises...i used to sprint as a child... will the purchase of a theraputic ultrasound machine aid my recovery

Doctor

A:    I wouldn’t recommend the use at home of a therapeutic ultrasound, which is a modality of deep heat that must be prescribed and administered by specialized personnel, meaning P.T. Repetitive stress injuries (RSIs) are injuries that happen when too much stress is placed on a part of the body, resulting in inflammation (pain and swelling), muscle strain, as in your case, or tissue damage. This stress generally occurs from repeating the same movements over and over again, with no enough healing time so they are also called “overuse syndrome”. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time, and this is true for Body Building, Running, Jogging or any other sport or activity in which you exceed the guidelines and your own limits or capacities. . The suggested strategy would be:  you could use a moist heating pad for periods no more than 15 minutes each time during the day, limit those activities that produce pain or discomfort, and  to control the pain you can   take  anti-inflammatory medication (such as “Motrin” or “Aleve”). The healing time is different for each person, and also depends on the severity of the initial injury. It is very important before to do any exercise or straining physical activity to have an initial warm-up and stretching of the muscles, also when you start an exercise routine the demands have to be progressive and gradual, I strongly recommend that review your training techniques, the time and days that you dedicate to exercise must be consistent and regular to avoid injuries.