x
192 Physicians Online

Question:

Recurring leg abscess causing ear infections

My husband has a recurring abscess on his inner thigh maybe 2 inches from the leg crease. Every time the abscess comes back he gets infections in both ears. The infections causes drainage from the ears and his ears feel "full" and his hearing diminishes. His physician lances the abscess and puts him on antibiotics which will take care of the abscess but not the ear infections. Do the two just happen to be coincidental or is there something that causes both at the same time?

Symptoms: " />

Answer:

An abscess is a tender, easily pressed mass generally surrounded by a colored area from pink to deep red. The middle of an abscess is full of pus and debris and is also very contagious. In my opinion the only relation I can see is that your husband probably manipulated his abscess and touched the inside of his ears, this might cause the infection to be transferred to his ears.
Most abscesses heal without the need of antibiotics, it is recommended to apply warm compresses to stimulate the drain of the abscess, washing your hands constantly would keep him from re infecting in other areas of his body.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA