x
174 Physicians Online

Question:

Recurring Stomach Virus

My family has been getting the stomach virus over and over again for the past 2 and a half months. My two sons, ages 4 and 9 have gotten the most, 4 and 6 times. My husband and I each had it twice, and my one year old had it only once. Every weekend since the 2nd week in January someone has been sick. For the past 3 weeks, it has been just my four ear old. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Hardly ever a fever. I keep a clean house. I am disinfecting regularly with bleach. I have disinfected the car. Nothing seems to be working. I am going out of my mind! We have had stomach bugs go through the house before, but nothing like this has ever happened. What is going on?

Answer:

Rotavirus is the leading cause loose stool and vomiting in young children that may at times affect the adults too. As main route of transmission of the disease is faeco-oral, maintaining good hygeine during handling and preparing and eating food could be useful in controlling the transmission of the disease. A person may develop rotavirus disease more than once because there are many different rotavirus types, but second infections tend to be less severe than the original infections. After a single natural infection, 40% of children are protected against any subsequent rotavirus infection. Recurrent rotavirus infections affect persons of all ages.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Patrick Golden M.D.

• Board Certified Cardiologist
  • Founder AskTheDoctor.com
  • Practices in Fresno, CA