Recurring Stomach Virus

Q: My family has been getting the stomach virus over and over again for the past 2 and a half months. My two sons, ages 4 and 9 have gotten the most, 4 and 6 times. My husband and I each had it twice, and my one year old had it only once. Every weekend since the 2nd week in January someone has been sick. For the past 3 weeks, it has been just my four ear old. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Hardly ever a fever. I keep a clean house. I am disinfecting regularly with bleach. I have disinfected the car. Nothing seems to be working. I am going out of my mind! We have had stomach bugs go through the house before, but nothing like this has ever happened. What is going on?

A:   Rotavirus is the leading cause loose stool and vomiting in young children that may at times affect the adults too. As main route of transmission of the disease is faeco-oral, maintaining good hygeine during handling and preparing and eating food could be useful in controlling the transmission of the disease. A person may develop rotavirus disease more than once because there are many different rotavirus types, but second infections tend to be less severe than the original infections. After a single natural infection, 40% of children are protected against any subsequent rotavirus infection. Recurrent rotavirus infections affect persons of all ages.