Recurring UTI's

Patient

Q: My mom always has always had frequent UTI's, but I thought it was due to her being T-3 paralyzed and needing to cath... she sometimes bleached and re-used catheters.
However, I too have recurrent UTI's, I had some really bad ones even in kindergarten.
As an adult, the UTI's are almost constant. They are ALWAYS very mild however and produce little or no symptoms. Frequent urination and a temp of 99 is just the way life is. Only when infections get "bad" do I take an antibiotic.... usually cipro or amoxicillin.
In 02 I became pregnant and reached 19 weeks. Doctors said that a UTI had transpired to a raging kidney infection. I became septic, was hospitalized for days, and lost the pregnancy. :-(
I know that a short urethra lends to recurring UTI's and it's a genetic condition... that makes perfect sense here.

However, what can I do to make the infections stop? Also, if I want to try again to become pregnant, what can I do to assure the health of Myself and a fetus?

Doctor