Recurring Yeast Infections

Patient

Q: For the past few months, I have had (what I think are) recurring yeast infections. I have white, sticky, and sometimes clumpy discharge for about a week each time, which causes irritation and itchiness. It sometimes causes my clitoris to become inflamed and tender, making sex extremely uncomfortable. The skin on my vulva, and sometimes my perineum, becomes extremely raw and I sometimes develop small tears. I have attempted to treat with OTC anti-fungals and it seems to work for a little while, then my symptoms return. Could this be an STD, and not just a yeast infection?

Symptoms:  Discharge, inflamed vulva, irritation and itchiness of vaginal area, painful sex
Doctor