Recurrrent low blood platelet count

Patient

Q: During the last week of September 2011, I developed fever with swelling of lymph nodes behind the ear. I consulted a doctor who said that I was suffering from some viral infection. My blood platelet count was 67000. She prescribed doxycycline hyclate for 10 days. My fever subsided and the swelling of the lymph nodes also disappeared. The platelet count increased to 166000. The medication was stopped. After about 15 days, I again felt uneasy and got a blood test done. The blood platelet count had again fallen to 111000. I resorted to self medication with doxycycline hyclate for about 10 days. I do not have any fever but, the blood platelet count has gone up to 122000. There is no swelling of lymph nodes. What could be the problem?

Doctor

A:   It is likely that the infection would have caused your platelets to decrease. Though in certain cases thrombocytopenia may also be caused by certain autoimmune disease like SLE and rheumatoid arthritis, leukemia, viral infection from HIV, medicines and anemia. It is essential to diagnose the underlying cause of low platelet count and treat it. If you experience and bleeding that does not stop, you must visit your doctor or go to the ER as soon as possible.