Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Red and burning face from benzoyl peroxide

Red and burning face from benzoyl peroxide

Patient: I used benzoyl peroxide 2.5 % overnight and woke up with very red and burning skin on my face and ive stopped using it. 5 days later, nothing has improved. What should I do?

Symptoms: Very red face, burning, itching

Doctor: Thank you for your question.It seems as though you have sustained a chemical burn from benzoyol peroxide. Since it ha s been 5 days and you have not observed any improvement, please go immediately to your doctor for evaluation and treatment. You may need to be prescribed a topical anti inflammatory cream to apply to the irritated area of your face to reduce the redness and facilitate healing.Do not use benzoyl peroxide on your face unless otherwise specified by your doctor after you undergo treatment.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com