Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Red line from genital to anus??

Red line from genital to anus??

Patient: My 10 month old baby girl has a Red shiny line from her vagina to her anus, it has been like this for a long time and does not seem to cause any discomfort or irritation, however I am worried that this is not normal. She doesn’ She doesn’t suffer from diaper rash or nappy rash, only occasionally red around anus, there are. O issues with her feeding or frequency of urinating or defacating. Can you offer any suggestions? The skin looks red and shiny but is not a cut.

Doctor: The reddish line you describe is a normal anatomical line called the raphe. I do not think that you should be concerned. If the line becomes red and inflammed, show it to your child’s doctor. I wish you well, take care.