Red Spot

Q: Ok so Im not sure what to list this under but it has to do with my face so i thought the category acne might be a ok place to start. I have this reddish blotch on my chin that sorta looked like a pimple that will never heal or go away. what would this be and how do i get rid of it?

Symptoms:  red, big area, wont go away
Red Spot -1

A:   Thank you for your question. The picture your supplied to us is not very clear but we will try our level best to give you an idea of what this could be. It looks like a the remnant of a previous pimple called post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. Post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation is a localized discolouration of the skin following an inflammatory skin condition such as acne. This can range in colour from reddish-pink, to brownish-black depending on your skin complexion.

Post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation usually fades away over time without treatment but can take up to 2 years. For faster results, over the counter topical treatments containing vitamin c, alpha and beta hydroxy acids can be used, but your results may vary. Prescription topical treatments containing Hydroquinone of at least 3% can be used as well to fade this type of pigmentation.

If you are not willing to wait for this to fade, we recommend you consult a dermatologist who will assess the area you are concerned with and prescribe a medication best suited for your skin.

Thank you for choosing