Red spot on the roof of mouth. Could it be cancer?

Patient

Q: I had a stuffy nose, headache, tiredness, severe sore throat, swollen lymph node in the neck, and fluid in the ear in early november. I went to the walk-in clinic and they thought it was just a virus sooo they gave me mucinex. Everything went away except for the swollen lymph node and the tiredness. I started developing white spots in my throat and mouth. So I went back into the walk-in clinic and they said it could be thrush. So they gave me this medicine to rinse my mouth with. I did that for about a week and they went away. Then two days later, they reappeared, but then two days after that they turned into red spots and are just on the roof of my mouth. I do NOT know what to do. What is the cause of all of this? Could it be cancer? By the way I am 15 years old.

Doctor

A:   Though your symptoms do suggest of a viral etiology, I would suggest that you get a throat swab  to rule out streptococcal throat infection. Strep throat infection can be easily be treated with penicillin of amoxicillin. The symptoms will usually get better within a week after treatment.